Monday, November 5, 2007

Stone Lemon II


The stone lemon is coming along (my Florentine mosaic class). In the (cell phone) image above you can see a very flat lemon (very Japanese as another student said) with two leaves surrounded by brown. In total it is about 6 pieces of stone. I still have to pick out two more pieces to complete this first "attempt". In the picture above it is held together temporarily with slate and glue in back.

In this class, I’ve discovered several things:



  • I can’t select two colored stones to go together to save my life (witness my jeans and gray tee-shirt daily uniform as an example of color issues)

  • The stones I would like to choose are the ones the “maestro” shakes his head at and says “troppo forte” or something to that effect.

  • I have very little patience for putting things together precisely (on several occasions I have thrown bricks together in our yard and said ta-dah a brick walkway and Mark shook his head, disgusted, and dismantled the mess and assembled the bricks correctly….)

  • Stone dust is very drying to one’s finger tips.

  • The glue used to temporarily hold pieces together when melted (as it should be) makes a cloud of smoke that you should not inhale.

  • The girl next to me hums well to American rock music.

  • Don’t ring that buzzer to open the front door to the studio before 3pm because the maestro isn’t going to be there. Come 5 minutes late.

Oh, I'm having a good time...

1 comment:

  1. "and said ta-dah a brick walkway and Mark shook his head, disgusted, and dismantled the mess"

    You're killing me here!

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through a moderation process. Even though it may not look like the comment was accepted, it probably was. Check back in a day if you asked a question. Thanks!